Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Yes, I would the war were over,

WORDS AND MUSIC BY ALICE HAWTHORNE.
The Music for this popular Song, is published by
WINNER & Co, No. 833 Spring Garden Street, below Tenth, Philadelphia.
Library of Congress

Yes, I would the war were over,
Would the cruel work were done;
With my country undivided,
And the battle fought and won.
Let the contest now before us,
Be decided by the sword,
For the war cannot be ended
Till the Union is restored.

CHORUS.
Yes, I would the war were over,
Would the cruel work were done,
With my Country still united,
And the many States in one.
Dead upon the field of battle,
Husbands, sons and brothers lie;
Friends are waiting--wives and mothers,
Looking for them by and by.
Far away from home forever,
Many a noble boy lies slain;
Look not for thy child, fond mother,
Thou shalt see him not again.

CHORUS--Yes, I would the war were over, &c.

Yes, I would the war were ended,
And the cruel struggle o'er,
But our flag must be defended,
And our country as before.
Peace indeed, is Heaven's blessing
Though its joys are easy lost,
Still we'll battle for our nation,
Whatsoe'er it yet may cost.

CHORUS--Yes, I would the war were over, &c.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment